Preparation for Colonoscopy
In order that the examination of your colon and rectum be complete and efficient, it is very important that your bowel be as clean as possible. To accomplish this, we use Colyte or Go-lytely solutions. We have found this method to be efficient and more comfortable for the patient.
- Obtain a 4-liter container of Colyte or Go-lytely solution which will need to be mixed with water to make a solution.
- Drink the equivalent of 4-liters (1 gallon) of the solution within the specified time period. To accomplish a good bowel preparation, it is important to drink the solution as rapidly as possible.
Directions for bowel preparation
Start with a clear liquid diet at 12:00 pm (noon) the day before your schedule procedure. Clear liquids include:
- Coffer - no milk or cream
- Clear carbonated beverages - regular or sugar free
- Strained fruit juices
- Salt, sugar, saccharin
- Hard candy
- Clear, non-fat beef and chicken broth
- Bouillon, clear or consommé
- Water, ice
- Jell-O and popsicles - no red, pink or purple colors
- Clear liquids all day (No Red Pink or Purple colors) you may have coffee (w/ no milk or creamer)
- Take the 2 Bisacodyl tablets at 12 noon
- Nothing to eat or drink between 3-5 pm
- Start drinking the solution at 6 pm (drink 8-10 oz every 15 minutes)
After completing the prep, you may have clear liquids until midnight.
You should have nothing to eat or drink after midnight unless otherwise instructed.
If you should become nauseated while drinking the solution, slow down drinking until the nausea subsides, then resume the liquid. It is very important to try and clean out the colon so that your examination will be as complete as possible.
At the completion of your prep, your bowel movements maybe light yellow or some other color, but you should have no formed stool. If you are unsure that you are clean, please take one or two fleets enemas at the conclusion of your prep.
If you have had any previous x-rays of your colon, please bring them with you.
Due to the IV sedation given for your comfort, you must bring someone with you to drive you home following the procedure. Also, make sure someone is available to speak with the doctor at the conclusion of the procedure for instructions.
If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call our office.
Notice: If you are taking daily medications, you may take your medications with a small amount of water the day of your scheduled procedure.